Just for kicks – the Hackintosh relative to the cookbook 😉 You should see this relative to the iPhone and also relative to a “venti” at Starbucks.
I started this project a couple of months ago. I did this since I got a windows laptop (company supplied) and would like to try developing iPhone Apps and start playing with OS X. Rather than carrying 2 laptops a 13 (macbook not yet bought) and a 14 inch(dell) laptop, plus gym clothes. I decided to get a smaller laptop (netbook form factor) that reads SD and SDHC cards. Also, I do not want a Hard Disk but an SDD. No Fan I don’t want any noise (I wake up at 2:00 in the morning sometimes and have this darn habit of turning on my computer) – of course it has to do Bluetooth, cam 1.3 megapixel.
Having said that I pick the Dell Mini 9. This link will show you it’s compatibility with OS X – In layman’s terms it’s tendency to be more of a MAC than a PC. Refer to this link netbook os x compatability guide the dell mini 9 hardware is the most “Am a mac” all it’s hardware run’s under OS X.
- Dual Screen is supported. You need a bigger screen when you have to run the iPhone emulator and develop apps. I dock this thing to a KVM switch so I can use abetter keyboard … yep a window’s keyboard and mouse.
- The Bluetooth works perfect. I paired this with a Motorola S9 headphones . It work’s much better than an original MacBook I tried pairing this with a new MacBook and it doesn’t work in stereo mode all the time.
- It is a joy to work with my only complaint is that the keyboard is too small. If you work for more than 30 minutes using the dell mini 9 keyboard your hand will hurt.
- Further note the apple remote control will not work (obviously there is no Infrared)
- The regular 6 cell battery last 2 hours watching a Div X movie.
- Parallels 4 does not and will not work the chip does not do hardware virtualization. The latest VMWare fusion work well I tried using Debian 5 on a Dell Mini. A more promising solution is VirtualBox I have loaded Windows XP Professional SP3 and for a Linux distribution I use Ubuntu. Debian 5.0 does not work in VirtualBox so beware. For virtualization you have to edit the xml file and edit Hardware Virtualization. I will do some notes on a later post.
Here are my dell mini 9 Spec’s
- Dell Mini 9
- 62 GB SDD
- 1.3 Megapixel Web Cam
- 2 GB Memory
- 6 cell
Am currently running OSX 10.5.7
For better installation instructions – Gizmodo has the best installation instructions refer to this link Gizmodo – How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 9 Into the Ultimate OS X Netbook – Dell mini 9 hackintosh guide
What Am I doing now – Currently am trying to port my existing workflow to use the Dell MINI 9. I am planning to do some running/walking after work and will leave my office laptop at the office. The Dell MINI 9 would be with my backpack while I do my walking/running. Mileage wise I would say I have been doing light programming load with the dell mini 9 for the past 2-3 months and it has been a joy. Will now attempt to do torture it even more by using windows XP and ubuntu. I still have stares when I open my Hackintosh in a Starbuck’s joint.